Monday, March 18, 2013

Its That Time of Year Again

Well guess what everybody, its March Madness!!! Probably my favorite time of year, because there is basketball on pretty much all the time, and a obsessed sports fan I am in heaven.  There is games on 4 different channels, and luckily i have them all.

So as far as the seeding is concerned, I dont think there was really any big surprises.  I think there was a slight ruffle when Gonzaga went from probably being the number one overall seed last week to the last number one seed.  It was a little surprising to me to see Missouri as a nine seed, but I really didnt get to see them play at all this year.  St Louis being a four seed, could lead to a first round loss.  I am not sure they are as good as their seeding announces.  The other seeding that puzzles me is putting no one from the Pac-12 is lower than a six seed, and putting Oregon, the number 25 team in the country as a twelve seed.  This is pretty much a punch in the face for the Pac-12 showing no respect.  I think other than that the seeding was very well done by the selection committee.

Now we are going to look at some of my big upsets of the year.  The first and foremost is I have Gonzaga losing in the second round to Pittsburgh.  I think Gonzaga is the most overrated team of the year.  Everyone talks about how they went undefeated in their conference, but that is because they play in the WCC, a very weak conference.  And Pittsburgh coming from the Big East is tough and physical and very talented so I think they will upset the Zags in the "Thrifty Thirty-Two" as I am calling it.  Another upset I have is the 11 seed Minnesota Golden Gophers beating the Bruins of UCLA.  Minnesota is a very athletic team and very big and UCLA lost one of their top scorers in Jordan Adams.  In the reversal I have a Pac-12 team in California(12 seed) upsetting the Running Rebels out of UNLV, a five seed.  It always scares me when a mid major is pitted against a Big 6 team.  Sometimes the physicality and talent can be overwhelming.  The other big upset that I have is Iowa State a ten seed beating Notre Dame, a five seed.  I like how physical the Cyclones play and they have some very talented big men.  I have not seen Notre Dame play but they have not played well the last month of the year.

   Now for my Final Four picks.  Coming out of the Midwest bracket I have......the number one overall seed the Louisville Cardinals.  The Cards play great defense, they deflect almost every pass, and probably lead the nation in steals.  They were the best team in the Big East, the toughest conference in the country.  They definitely deserved to be the number one overall seed.
   Now coming out of the West bracket I have .......the Badgers from Wisconsin.  The Badgers play Bo Ryan basketball, they play slow, use the shot clock until they get a good shot.  They rebound well and play very fundamental basketball.  And I think this style of play will frustrate all of their opponents. As a five seed, they are the highest seed I have left in the tournament.  
   And coming out of the South bracket........the Georgetown Hoyas.  I think that the Hoyas are one of the most exciting teams to watch in the country.  They play great defense and get up and down the floor better than almost anyone.  They are battle tested, they also come from the Big East, so they go up against the best talent in the country.
   And four my last team in the finals I have.......the Hoosiers of Indiana.  The Hoosiers spent the most time as the number one team this season, and they deserved it.  They have one of the best individual defenders in the country in Victor Oladipo and my player of the year Cody Zeller.  Indiana has been down in the dumps the last few years so they deserve this.

In the national championship game I have two teams that are very familiar with each other, since they come from the same conference.  The Louisville Cardinals and the Georgetown Hoyas.  The Hoyas won the only meeting the two teams had this year in a very tight battle.  And I think they will pull it off again.

So your national champions for the 2013 college basketball season is the Georgetown Hoyas!!!  Hopefully I am right again like I was last year so I can see a very low number next to my bracket on ESPN.















    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment