Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hockey Since the Olympics

Am I the only one that has noticed the popularity boost the NHL has received since the last Olympic Games, which featured one of the best Olympic hockey games since Lake Placid when the smaller, less talented USA team took down powerhouse Russia? Now I have never been much of a hockey fan, just have never gotten into it. But I did watch the USA vs Canada game in this years 2010 Olympic Games, and I have to say since then I have been more involved and paid more attention to hockey. This was a monumental game for the Gold medal. The USA on their road to the Gold medal game had already beaten Canada http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9i9jD0E18. So the Gold medal game was a rematch and the USA went into the game with high hopes they could pull off the upset once again. The game was intense and lived up to all the hype it had garnered. The USA tied the game up with about 20 seconds left and sent the game into overtime. Enter Sidney Crosby, arguable one of the best players in the NHL, and his game winning shot on goal to win the game for Canada, here is the link to watch the shot Link.

Anyway, this game really brought hockey to another level in the US and Canada, the numbers show that this was the most watched hockey game since 1980. And had a higher rating than any World Series game since 2004, and any NCAA Final Four game since 1998. Since the Gold medal game hockey has been more popular, has seen an increase in attendance, and an increase on media coverage. Especially now that we are in the middle of the NHL playoffs. It also helps to see so many players from the Gold medal game in the NHL, which can bring back memories of that game.

Personally I had never really just sat down and watched a whole hockey game until the USA vs. Canada Gold medal match. I never really thought it was as intense as it was, and that is one thing i love to see in sport, intensity. But watching what these athletes are capable of and can do on the ice, they have my respect. It takes so much determination, hard work, and patience to learn what it takes to be a hockey players. I know that from the Gold medal game on, never again will I take hockey for granted.

1 comment:

  1. I only got to see the last few minutes of the Canada vs. USA game, but those last few minutes were seriously amazing. I'm not an avid follower of hockey, but I think what I like most about hockey is that it still grabs your attention and is clearly amazing without having to know too much about the rules or the teams playing, unlike sports like football and baseball where the rules are what makes the game interesting. Besides, it's always entertaining to watch a guy get smashed into a wall :)

    ReplyDelete