Monday, May 3, 2010

One Regret

The more time that passes in my life, the more I have come to regret not playing football. I know that sounds like a trivial decision, but I don't think it is. I talked to my mom recently about why I didn't play football, and she said because I wasn't as interested in it as I was baseball and basketball. I then asked her why she didn't push me harder to play, and she gave the typical motherly answer, I didn't want you to get hurt. Which shouldnt surprise anyone, I think it is built into mothers DNA to worry about their children getting hurt.

Now I am not here to brag but I think I would of been a pretty good football player. I know the game better than a lot of people, I am athletic, playing basketball and baseball and pretty much every other sport, and I have the determination and competitive edge that it takes to be a winner. My love for the game has really made me look back and wish that I had played, it really bugs me sometimes that I didn't. I think my life would be completely different if I had, and I would think in a good way. Not just physically but mentally as well. I think that is one of the reasons I love sports, they teach you how to be emotionally tough and most importantly to believe in yourself. Which from what I have seen a lot of people lack, the belief that they can do anything they want.

This semester I have been asked multiple times if I was on the football team, and every time I am asked that, it bugs me that I have to say no. Its not just the aspect of being a well known athlete or famous football player, for me I just love the game, and I do want to play it. Many people wonder why Brett Favre keeps coming back, and as much as I don't like him as a player, he definitely plays because he loves the game. I feel like I would be like that. I study the game, even though I don't play it, and everything I read makes me like it that much more.

And again, I regret not taking the opportunity to play football, a sport I love to watch and learn about, because my life would be different than it is now, and I think for the better.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you try out for the college team? You would do good!

    ReplyDelete