Monday, May 3, 2010

NCAA Tournament Expansion

Since this has grown to be a hot topic in the last few months, I thought I would chime in my opinion as well. So the proposal for a while was to expand the tournament from 65 teams to 96 teams, adding an additional 31 teams. I think this would be a terrible idea. For one thing letting 96 teams in will ruin the exclusivity of the tournament, fans would think that every team is in the tournament and it would lose its reputation for being a selective tournament. One other point is the TV coverage for the tournament, if you add an additional 16 games, you will begin to lose viewers because that is just to much basketball. Now I am a college basketball nut, but I think even I would find that a bit to much. Especially because it would be more games of mediocre teams beating up on each other.

So about a week ago the NCAA changed the field to 68 teams, which means that every region is going to have its own play in game. Now, I am just guessing that the play in game, which is the 2 worst teams in the tournament battling to see who will play a 1 seed, has the lowest amount of viewers of every other game in the tournament. But I am not gonna lie, I did watch the play in game this past March, I did say I am basketball nut. But I just dont see this working out well for CBS and the NCAA. This policy change is just putting more games on TV that 12 people will watch ( I am included in that 12), which does not sit well for the advertisers and other programs that are getting the ax for a crappy basketball game. I am all in favor or changing the field back to 64 teams and cutting out the play in game. I mean how is not a slap in the face for the team that wins the game, to go on and play a 1 seed, knowing that never has a 16 seed beaten a 1 seed. I think they would start to wonder why they were in the tournament in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment